“Cheers” may be appropriate 364 days a year, but traditional Irish drinking toasts are a must on St. Patrick’s Day!
The March 17 holiday just happens to fall on a Saturday this year. That can only mean one thing: More celebrations (and more green beer) in honor of Patricius, the patron saint of Ireland. St. Patrick’s Day party planning is in full swing!
Whether you’re heading to a house party or a crowded bar, impress your friends by memorizing at least one of these great Irish drinking quotes:
15 Irish drinking toasts
- “May you have all the happiness and luck that life can hold, and at the end of your rainbows, may you find a pot of gold.”
- “Here’s to the land of the shamrock so green. Here’s to each lad and his darlin’ Colleen. Here’s to the ones we love dearest and most. May God bless old Ireland, that’s this Irishman’s toast!”
- “Sláinte!” (Pronounced slawn-cha, it means “good health” in Ireland.)
- “May you always have a clean shirt, a clear conscience, and enough coins in your pocket to buy a pint!”
- “May the luck of the Irish lead to happiest heights, and the highway you travel be lined with green lights. Wherever you go and whatever you do, may the luck of the Irish be there with you.”
- “May your home always be too small to hold all your friends.”
- “There are good ships, and there are wood ships, the ships that sail the sea. But the best ships are friendships, and may they always be.”
- “Always remember to forget the troubles that passed away. But never forget to remember the blessings that come each day.”
- “May neighbors respect you, trouble neglect you, the angels protect you, and heaven accept you.”
- “May your mornings bring joy and your evenings bring peace. May your troubles grow less as your blessings increase.”
- “Here’s to a long life and a merry one. A quick death and an easy one. A pretty girl and an honest one. A cold beer and another one.”
- “May the winds of fortune sail you. May you sail a gentle sea. May it always be the other guy who says this drink’s on me.”
- “May you have warm words on a cold evening, a full moon on a dark night, and a smooth road all the way to your door.”
- “May the hinges of our friendship never grow rusty.”
- “I have known many, and liked not a few, but loved only one, and this toast is to you.”
I’m going to share one more Irish phrase with you because it’s my favorite. I love this Old Irish Blessing:
“May the road rise up to meet you. May the wind always be at your back. May the sun shine warm upon your face, and rains fall soft upon your fields. And until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of His hand.”
Let’s get the party started!
If you’re looking for some ideas for your St. Patrick’s day bash, visit our St. Patrick’s Day Favs on Pinterest.
Want a delicious Irish drink to serve your friends? Learn how to make our Lime Sherbert Float. It’s a shamrock special they’re sure to enjoy!